Wednesday 15 February 2012

Lunch Box - Mediterranean Lentil Salad


Main: Mediterranean Lentil Salad
Fruit: Tinned berries with Greek Yoghurt
Treat: Doritos!

When I got home from work last night making lunches was the last thing I wanted to do. My daily Ashtanga yoga practice has been particularly intense this week (like a strange and elaborate form of torture, you might say) so when I get home after a 12 hour day all I want to do is lie on the couch groaning in pain, or take a bath, followed by lying on the couch groaning in pain. Somehow I managed to drag myself from the couch to the kitchen, and I'm sure glad I did, because this salad is a winner. I would even go so far to say it's helping me out of my mid-week slump. The sharp garlic and feta combined with the comforting couscous and protein enriched lentils make for a perfect lunch box filler.

I have taken the recipe word for word from Junglefrog-Cooking.com which contains some great recipes and amazing photography! One day I may graduate from my BlackBerry phone to a real camera, but until then my photos will be for documentation purposes only. :)

Mediterranean Lentil Salad
Yield: 4 lunch box servings

1 cup puy lentils
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 1/4 cup water
1 cup Couscous
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove (large, minced and mashed into a paste with 1/4 tsp salt)
1/2 cup fresh mint (finely chopped)
1 bunch arugula (rocket) (stems discarded and leaves washed well, spun dry and chopped)
2 cups vine ripened cherry tomatoes (halved)
1/4lb feta (crumbled)

1) In a small saucepan simmer lentils in water to cover by 2 inches until tender but not falling apart, 15 to 20 minutes, and drainwell. Transfer hot lentils to a bowl and stir in 1 tablespoon vinegar and salt and pepper to taste. Cool lentils completely, stirring occasionally.

2) In a saucepan bring water to a boil and add couscous and salt. Remove pan from heat and let couscous stand, covered, 5 minutes. Fluff couscous with a fork and transfer to a large bowl. Stir in 1 tablespoon oil and cool completely, stirring occasionally.

£) In a small bowl whisk together garlic paste, remaining 2 tablespoons vinegar, remaining 3 tablespoons oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir lentils and dressing into couscous. Chill salad, covered, at least 3 hours and up to 24.

4) Just before serving, stir in remaining ingredients and season with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment